Best Ratcheting Wrench In 2019 – Reviews and Buying Guide
When it comes to tightening or loosening bolts, nothing does the job better than a ratcheting wrench.
With regular wrenches, you have to keep removing the wrench from the fastener every time you make a complete swing arc. But the ratcheting wrench is different.
You don’t remove the wrench from the fastener. Instead, you swing it back to the start point, then make another swing. Before long, your bolt is either loose or firmly fastened. They have a ratcheting mechanism which makes this possible.
With these considerations in mind, read on for our list of the top wrench sets to buy in 2017.
If you are looking for a ratcheting wrench, you are in luck. Here are the six best ratchet wrenches in the market!
6 Best Ratcheting Wrench Reviews:
|GEARWRENCH 12 Pc. 12 Pt. Ratcheting Combination Wrench Set, Metric -...||1,200 Reviews||$79.76||Check on Amazon|
|Gearwrench 20-Piece Ratcheting Wrench Set, SAE and Metric # 35720||511 Reviews||$78.24||Check on Amazon|
|Stanley 94-543W 7-Piece Ratcheting Wrench Set, Metric||122 Reviews||$51.37||Check on Amazon|
|ARES 70058 | 5pc Metric Ratcheting Combination Wrench Set | 72 Tooth...||34 Reviews||Check on Amazon|
|GEARWRENCH 12 Point Ratcheting Combination Wrench Set, 16 Piece Metric...||2,592 Reviews||$136.64||Check on Amazon|
|Ratcheting Wrench Set With ToolRoll - Multiple Sizes||3,914 Reviews||Check on Amazon|
1. Apex Tool Group’s GearWrench 9412 12-Piece Metric Ratcheting Wrench Set:
- 72 tooth ratcheting box end needs a minimal 5° to move fasteners vs. 30° for standard wrenches
- Off-corner loading design on box end provides better grip and reduces fastener rounding
GearWrench is a premium mechanics hand tool brand whose products meet the tough requirements of Professional Automotive Technicians and industrial users. Take this ratcheting wrench set, for instance. You will need as little as five degrees to tighten or loosen a fastener.
The set contains a total of twelve pieces. Each piece is for a different size according to the metric system: from eight to nineteen millimeters. For that reason, you can work on fasteners which come in different sizes, small to large.
And you only need five degrees to fasten or loosen a bolt. Plus, with the small ratcheting box end design, you can count on it to be useful when you have to get at those extremely tight spots where most ratchet wrenches would not reach.
Moving a fastener up or down a threaded rod can be tiresome, especially if it’s a long rod you are dealing with. But with the wrenches in this set, you can move your fastener along the length of the threaded rod, and you won’t have to remove your wrench from the fastener at all. You will work quickly.
And if you are tired of wrenches that round off the edges of your bolt, this is the ratchet wrench set you need. With their surface drive, the wrenches give you a firm grip on the fastener.
- Patented GearWrench Ratcheting which needs as little as five degrees to turn a fastener
- 72-tooth ratchet which moves a fastener along a threaded rod of any length without moving the wrench from the fastener
- Comes in a molded package tray
- Includes sizes: 8-, 9-, 10-, 11-, 12-, 13-, 14-, 15-, 16-, 17-, 18-, and 19- mm
- Comes with a lifetime manufacturer’s warranty
2. Apex Tool Group’s GearWrench 35720 20-Piece SAE & Metric Ratcheting Wrench Set:
- Extremely strong, meets or exceeds ansi, din and federal torque specifications
- Includes sae sizes: 1/4, 5/16, 11/32, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16 and 3/4 in
If you are looking for something versatile, that’s what you get with this GearWrench ratchet wrench set. Unlike the first GearWrench, which you have just read about, this one is a combination of the metric and the SAE sizes. That means it gives you wrenches calibrated in inches and millimeters.
As a result, the ratchet set is convenient in a diverse range of situations. The SAE sizes range from ¼ inches to ¾ inches. And the metric sizes from six to eighteen millimeters. It contains a total of twenty pieces: ten in metric sizes and the other ten in SAE sizes. With this set, you will always be prepared.
With these set, you will have an easier time securing bolts and nuts of different sizes and models. And the slim, thick head shank will help you to reach into cramped spots and work on fasteners you would have otherwise given up on loosening or tightening.
And the wrenches don’t require a lot of effort from you. Give your wrench a small swing arc, and you will find that that is sufficient to tighten your fastener. The easier the work, the faster it goes. All those features push us to keep it in top best Ratcheting Wrench list.
- Extremely strong. Meets ANSI, DIN, and federal torque specifications.
- Includes SAE sizes: ¼, 5/16, 11/32, 3/8, 7/16, ½, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, and ¾ inches.
- Includes Metric sizes: 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 mm.
- Ratcheting box end that moves a fastener as quickly and easily as a fine tooth ratchet.
- Surface drive box end that provides a firm grip on fasteners, reducing risk of rounding.
3. Stanley 94-543W 7-Piece Metric Ratcheting Wrench Set Review:
For an excellent metric system ratcheting wrench set, check out this one from the Stanley brand. It contains seven pieces, measuring from nine to fifteen millimeters. And you can use it with impact sockets.
The wrenches are forged from chrome vanadium steel. This steel is one of the hardest and longest-wearing. With such sturdy material, you can expect the wrenches in this set to give you durability. Compare to all features it is one the best wrench set for the money.
You also get high torque from these wrenches. That means you can turn the fasteners at a quicker rate. That way, you will finish your work faster. The Max-Drive design of the box end is responsible for this extra torque – at least 15% additional torque. Another benefit is the reduced risk of rounding your fasteners.
The wrenches have full-polish plating. Consequently, all the wrenches have protection against corrosion. It also means that you will not have a difficult time when cleaning the wrenches.
- Ideal for use with impact sockets.
- Replaceable brushes.
- Full polish plating for anti-corrosion protection and easy cleaning.
- Chrome vanadium steel forging for durability and high torque.
- Frameless motor with replaceable brushes for extended tool durability and life.
- Max-Drive design of the box end allows for 15% extra torque and helps reduce fastener rounding.
- 15-degree box end offset for extra knuckle clearance.
- Limited lifetime warranty.
4. Ares 5-Piece Metric Ratcheting Combination Wrench Set:
- INCLUDES: This set includes the most popular metric ratcheting wrench sizes: 10, 12, 13, 14, and 15mm.
- SPECIFICATIONS: These wrenches are full length for maximum reach and leverage and are constructed of premium quality heat treated Chrome Vanadium Steel with Mirror Chrome plated finish. The ratcheting...
This Ares wrench set is just what you have been looking for. The ratcheting wrenches have 72-tooth ratchet gears, ensuring a firm grip on the fastener. As a result, you will have fewer cases of rounding.
They are constructed from heat-treated chrome vanadium steel with mirror chrome-plated finish. This ensures durability, protection from rust, and ease of cleaning.
The ratcheting box end makes your work with the ratchets much easier. All you need is a fifty-degree swing, and the fasteners will tighten or loosen.
The wrenches have a sleek head design. This gives you the ability to reach, tighten, and loosen bolts in confined spaces. And since the wrenches are full length, you have maximum reach and leverage, hence making your work easier.
If you are looking for a ratchet wrench for the compact engine compartment of your car, this set is the best choice for you. The ability to work in cramped spaces gives the wrenches in this set an edge over other ratchet wrenches.
- Full length wrenches for maximum reach and leverage.
- Made of heat-treated chrome vanadium steel with mirror chrome-plated finish.
- Ratcheting box end which needs as little as five degrees to move a fastener.
- Sleek head design which enables access to tight spots.
- Includes sizes: 10, 12, 13, 14 & 15 mm.
5. Apex Tool Group’s GearWrench 9416 16-Piece Metric Ratcheting Wrench Set:
- 72 tooth ratcheting box end needs a minimal 5° to move fasteners vs 30° for standard wrenches
- Off corner loading design on box end provides better grip and reduces fastener rounding
This GearWrench ratcheting wrench set combines three significant advantages that you shouldn’t pass up. On the one hand, it gives you the speed of a ratchet. On the other hand, it comes with the access and control of a wrench.
You will have an astounding sixteen wrenches to choose from. All sixteen of them are metric. They range from 8 to 24 millimeters. With such a wide variety of choices available, you are equipped to handle fasteners of many sizes.
A standard combination wrench will require about 30 degrees to turn a fastener. But with these wrenches, you can cut that to a super low 5 degrees. Consequently, when you switch to this wrench set, you can work faster.
Thanks to the surface drive, you will have a firm grip on fasteners. This will enable you to work faster, and rounding will reduce drastically.
And if you are moving a fastener up or down a threaded rod, you can count on this as best professional wrench set. The wrenches are ideal for use with threaded rods of any length.
- Surface drive enables a firm grip on fasteners, reducing rounding.
- Polished chrome finish.
- Set of 16 pieces of Sizes: 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, and 24mm.
- Wrenches which require just five degrees to turn a fastener.
- You can use it along any length of threaded rod.
- Lifetime warranty.
6. ToolGuards 22-Piece Chrome Vanadium SAE & Metric Ratcheting Wrench Set:
- ✅ 22 pieces ratcheting wrench set with mirror finish includes sae and metric combination wrenches. Speed up the work with this master set which is larger and more versatile than other 20 piece sets.
- ✅ Box wrenches slim profile & extremely strong chrome vanadium steel. The 72-tooth ratchet gears need only a 5-degree working swing arc. Full-drive box ends deliver reliable torque to tighten or...
Whether you are a shade tree mechanic, skilled tradesman, or just someone who needs tools for their garage, you will benefit from purchasing this ToolGuards ratcheting wrench set.
Consider that the set has a total of 22 pieces. And you are getting a combination of the SAE and metric systems. The SAE sizes range from ¼ to ¾ inches, and the metric from six to eighteen millimeters.
The 12-degree offset box comes with increased knuckle clearance. And the wrenches have a slim design. For that reason, cramped spaces won’t faze you. The wrenches give you the freedom to work in spaces you would otherwise shy from.
They are made from chrome vanadium steel. They are hard and durable. On top of the steel is a mirror finish which makes the wrenches corrosion-resistant and a breeze to clean.
They have 72-tooth ratcheting gears which require only a five-degree working swing arc to turn a fastener. With such speed, you can dramatically cut down on time you spend loosening or fastening a bolt. The full-drive box ends also have a hand in this since they deliver a reliable torque for tightening or loosening bolts without causing rounding.
- 22-Piece Chrome vanadium steel set with mirror finish.
- SAE and metric combination wrenches.
- 12-degree offset box with increased knuckle clearance.
- 72-tooth ratchet gears which need as little as five degrees to turn a fastener without rounding.
- 11 metric wrenches and 11 SAE wrenches.
- Metric wrenches’ sizes: 6, 8, ,9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 mm.
- SAE wrenches’ sizes: 1/4, 9/32, 5/16, 11/32, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, and ¾ inches.
- Lifetime warranty.
Types of Ratchet Wrenches
There are several types of ratchet wrenches available in the market. Here are some main types you should know.
Adjustable Wrench: An adjustable wrench has one fixed jaw and one adjustable jaw which allows you to use it on a wide variety of fastener sizes to loosen or tighten the nuts and bolts. It works best with the metric and standard fasteners.
Torque Wrench: Torque wrenches are used to tighten the bolts and nuts that are placed at only a foot pound from you. They are only allowed to work with ½ inch and 3/8 inch sockets only. Although sockets are available in metric and standard sizes.
Socket Wrench: A socket wrench is that type of hand tool that has a ratcheting mechanism on the head which attaches to various size of sockets through a square nub.
Combination Wrench: Open and box wrenches on the same tool make a combination wrench. One end will be the open-end wrench; the other end is the box wrench. Usually, both ends fit the same size nut and bolt. They have their availability in standard and metric sizes.
Open end Wrench: An open wrench is a nonadjustable wrench that comes in a variety of sizes. Open end wrench make the tightening and loosening much faster than with an adjustable wrench.
Things to Look For Before Getting The Best Ratchet Wrench:
Ensure that your ratcheting wrench is made from durable material. The most important factor to consider is corrosion. Manufacturing materials include chromium vanadium, cast iron, and wrought iron.
Chromium-vanadium is considered high-quality material, and as you have seen in the reviews, it is popular.
Chrome plating enhances corrosion resistance. A mirror finish will also help.
It’s also necessary to purchase a hard, robust material. The last thing you want is your wrench breaking or pieces of it chipping of while you are exerting pressure in trying to tighten or loosen a stubborn bolt.
2. Suitability for Use in Cramped Spots:
Some bolts are fastened in tight spaces which are hard to reach – spaces into which you can only just barely insert your hand. In such spaces, fastening a bolt is a nightmare.
But a good ratcheting wrench can give you the ability to work in those cramped spaces. Such a wrench should have a slim build, and it should be long. The slim build makes it easier for the ratchet wrench to slip into the tight space, and the length gives it a longer reach.
3. Measurement Type:
Wrench heads have two types of calibration: metric or standard (SAE) sizes. Metric sizes are measured in millimeters and standard ones in inches. It’s up to you to decide which you want. A better option, of course, would be to purchase a ratcheting wrench set that combines both metric and standard sizes.
4. Number of Sizes:
In this article, I have written about ratcheting wrench sets. For a set to give you the best value for your money, it must have a broad range of sizes available. If you are looking for versatility, it’s best to choose the set that gives you the greatest variety to choose from.
5. Wrench Type:
There are several types of wrench in the market like combination wrench, adjustable wrench, open end wrench, and double box wrench, air impact wrench etc. So, it is very important to know the exact type of wrench you need.
Without a doubt, these are some of the best ratcheting wrenches on the market today. I have selected them because of several factors.
They are durable. They won’t cause rounding. They give you a firm grip on the fastener, thus making tightening or loosening of fasteners easier. And they enable you to work on fasteners in tight spaces.
Choose the one you liked most, or which seems most appropriate for your situation, and purchase it.