Best Garage Cabinet Storage System- Reviews & Buying Guide 2019
The secret to getting an organized, cluster-FREE garage lies in investing in the best garage cabinets.
These storage systems do a great job at turning the junk pile lying in your garage into organized state. They help clean all the cluster lying on the floor, creating more space for cars while reducing the number of tripping accidents you encounter every day.
You keep all your items behind locked doors- where your curious young ones or unauthorized people can’t access them.
BUT…with so many garage cabinets out there, you might not know exactly where to start.
In the guide below, I’ll cover the 10 storage units for your garage on the market today. But at first, let's check the best five storage units among them in the bellow table.
First, I’ll teach you how to pick the best garage storage system:
Things To Look For Before Buying a Garage Cabinet For Storage:
This goes hand in hand with the items you wish to store in your cabinet. And to determine the right size of cabinet to buy, you’ll need to take account of all the items lying in your garage that you intend to store in the storage unit.
After taking note of all these items, you can easily determine the right size of the cabinet that will accommodate all of them.
Bonus tip: You should also consider looking at the types of tool you’ll be storing in your cabinet. Let’s say for example you want to store large power tools or heavy car parts. In such cases, you’ll need to look for a more robust unit that can hold the weight without breaking down.
Different materials are used to make various garage cabinets. These range from plastic to metal and wood materials.
Let’s discuss each of them briefly:
- Plastic: The best thing about buying plastic garage storage units is that they’re not vulnerable to environmental issues like rust, corrosion, etc., and are easy to clean.
Unfortunately, they can’t hold a lot of weight (or sturdier materials).
- Metals: Common metals used to design garage cabinets include stainless steel and aluminum. Needless to say, they’re sturdier and capable of holding those heavy tools you might have in your garage.
But for these models, you’ll need to spend more bucks.
- Wood: these units are made using engineered wood in terms of MDF (medium density fibreboard), particle board, plywood, etc.
Most folks complain that wood-based cabinets are usually cumbersome and susceptible to moisture.
It’s also interesting to note that these storage units come in different styles to make it easier to pick the right model for your garage space.
Some of the most common styles you’ll counter on the market include:
- Rolling cabinets, which come with wheels/caster to allow you to move your tools around your garage.
- Off-the-floor construction, whose base cabinets rest on legs or pedestals to keep them off the floor and prevent them from getting damaged by water, ice runoff, and spilled liquids.
- In-the-wall model: these easily fit in between the studs of your garage and come in variable heights. They’re highly suitable for small garages.
Other factors you would want to look into before that garage cabinet include:
- Total number of shelves and easily adjustable shelving for when storage needs change and items needs to be shifted around.
- Wall mountable to have the choice between the cabinet sitting on the floor or on the wall
- Perfect price for the features that fit your particle needs
- Door lock system is another factors to consider.
10 Best Garage Cabinets (aka Garage Storage System) Reviews:
1. Sterilite 01423V01 4 Shelf Cabinet Review:
When it comes to the most reliable names in the garage storage field, Sterilite will always make an appearance. And one of their proofs is this Sterilite 01423V01 4 Shelf Cabinet which comes with multicolor design, in addition to a sturdy plastic material design…with a modern aesthetic appearance that gives your garage a professional look.
When you get hold of this cabinet, I’m pretty sure you’ll rush to look at how many shelves it offers. Luckily, it doesn’t disappoint. It offers you up to 5 rugged shelves, 4 of which you can easily adjust to your desired height to accommodate bigger/smaller items.
It has a height of approx. 70 inches (which equates to about 5 ¾ feet), so you won’t have any problems fitting it in your garage- as long as it’s 6.5’ taller. It weighs much less compared to the metal and wood models.
And don’t doubt the plastic; it feels sturdy enough and will hold lots of your tools inside. I advise you to keep the heavier ones at the bottom part so that it doesn’t get top-heavy and come falling.
I’d suggest that you pick the dark-gray model (which looks almost like matte black) as it will blend better with your garage.
- Outside Dimensions: 69.38 x 25.63 x 18.88
- Made in the USA.
- Adjustable shelves.
- Heavy duty construction.
- Closes securely and allows you to use a standard padlock.
- Assembles in under 15 minutes.
2. Gladiator GAWG28FDYG Full-Door Wall Box EZ RTA:
- The tab and loop design on all of the panels minimizes the need for hardware and removes guesswork in assembly.
- The Wall Bracket Kit moves your cabinet up off the floor and onto any of our Gladiator Wall Systems to free up space.
If sturdiness is all you need in a garage storage system, then you really need this Gladiator GAWG28FDYG Full-Door Wall Box EZ RTA. Just like the legend Roman Gladiators, the unit boasts of unparalleled sturdiness and longer lifespan, thanks to the heavy-duty steel construction that runs around it.
Its sturdiness enables it to carry loads as heavy as 150lbs, making it the ideal unit for carrying those heavy tools you have in your garage. And it’s not only limited to that…it’ll perfectly hold any other automotive gear you have in your garage.
The Gladiator comes with two equally sturdy shelves that you can hold loads as heavy as 40lbs each. The fact that you can easily adjust the two shelves makes it easy to store gear of different sizes in them. In addition to the two shelves, you’ll also enjoy a fixed base shelf- which means more storage space.
Because it comes with a tab and loop design on its steel panels, you’ll have a smooth time installing it in your garage. You won’t even need any software to accomplish this!
Even more exciting, this storage unit works with the Gladiator wall systems, meaning you can easily change its location in future. It also gives you the option of directly installing it onto your drywall, masonry or on bare studs.
Which type of installation do you prefer?
In case you didn’t know, this Gladiator garage cabinet has undergone rigorous tests in the field before being released into the market. It has been tested for weight capacity, impact resistance, and thermal performance to ensure it delivers the ultimate durability in your garage.
- Heavy-duty steel construction.
- Easy, quick assembly.
- Can supports a load of up to 150lbs.
- Durable magnetic latches for securing the cabinet doors.
- 10-year limited warranty.
- Dimensions: 28" x 12" x 28"
3. Prepac Elite 32" Storage Cabinet:
- From Prepac elite storage collection, 2-Door cabinet for extra storage in utility room, garage, office, kitchen, or Bedroom
- Constructed in laminate composite wood with White Melamine doors; with 2 adjustable and 1 fixed shelf
All the cabinets from Prepac are made from the highest-quality materials, all the way from North America and last a lifetime. This is the same case to the Prepac Elite 32" Storage Cabinet whose construction comprises of the top-quality laminated composite wood. This makes it one of the best garage cabinets on the market today.
The fact that it's designed using MDF eliminates the solid feeling associated with the metal models. What’s more, its exterior comes laminated with a white finish which doesn’t easily peel. This is an effort to prevent it from peeling or chipping in the cold weathers- putting it a step above the other wood-based units.
Storagewise, the 2-door style cabinet features a total of 4 shelters. While the bottom one is fixed, the remaining three come with pre-drilling holes so that you can easily vary their space by around 6 inches in either way to hold different sizes of gear.
Each of the two doors comes with a metal handle that facilitates a secure grip, allowing you to open and close them effortlessly.
Mind you; this cabinet works well with the Prepac’s topper wall unit, so you may consider combining them to make a perfect storage set for your garage (with matching build material and colors).
The unit comes with a 5-year limited warranty, allowing you to enjoy security from the manufacturer. It’s shipped in pieces but assembling it for use takes less than 30 minutes and does not require an expert.
- Comes ready to assemble.
- Two adjustable and one fixed shelf.
- Constructed with durable laminate composite wood and white melamine doors.
- Dimensions: 32″ W x 16″ D x 65″ H.
- 5-year warranty.
4. Gladiator GALG36KDYG Ready-To-Assemble Large Gearbox:
You just got to love the sturdiness that speaks for itself in all the Gladiator products, including this Gladiator GALG36KDYG Ready-To-Assemble Large Gearbox. Like the other Gladiator garage cabinet we’ve discussed earlier, this unit also features heavy-duty steel design structure, sitting on top of steel legs that raise it from the ground.
This unit comes with a magnetized door latch that promotes easy opening and closing. This also helps keep the doors tight-shut (and prevent spilling of gear) if the cabinet ever gets bumped. Amazingly, the doors also feature a round key lock- just in case you wish to keep your items secure
When it comes to accommodating your garage gear, you’ll doubtlessly invest your trust in this unit. It does it better than the other Gladiator- it can hold as much as 225 lbs. of your gear! This is to say that it comes with three fully adjustable shelves where you can keep your items in organized and secure manner, with each shelf holding as much as 45 pounds.
The premium steel material used to design this Gladiator feels incredibly durable and holds up perfectly well in all climates for many years.
- Heavy-duty steel construction.
- Round key door lock.
- Magnetic latch.
- Can carry loads as heavy as 225lbs; 45lbs per shelf.
- 3 adjustable shelves.
- Compatible with additional bracket kit.
- 10-year limited warranty.
- Dimensions: 36″ W x 18″ D x 72″ H.
5. Suncast Wall Storage Cabinet:
- OUTDOOR STORAGE: Wall storage cabinet to contain toys, tools, and equipment
- DURABLE: Double wall resin construction that is resistant to warping, rusting, and denting
Halfway our best garage storage systems reviews, we have the Suncast Wall Storage Cabinet- one of the sturdiest units you can find on the market today. That is, it’s constructed from heavy double wall resin material. As I told you earlier, resin us immune to environment challenges, like rusting and corroding, doesn’t get dents and is easy to clean.
It comes with one steel reinforced shelf which can comfortably hold gear as heavy as 75lbs. And under this weight, the cabinet doesn’t easily bend as it’s the case with other models out there when under heavy load.
The fact that it comes with lockable doors makes it the best garage storage system for those folks who wish to protect their tools and gear and securely keep all their tools out of the way.
And unlike its rivals which come in bulky, squared-off edges designs, this Suncast have a sleek design that transforms your garage environment into an attractive space.
- Double wall resin construction.
- Easy to use.
- Made in the USA.
- Dimensions: 30"W x 12"D x 30-1/4"h.
- Platinum color doors and sides.
- Slate color top, handles, back, and bottom.
- Lockable door.
- Fast, easy assembly with minimal tools.
6. UltraHD Tall Storage Cabinet:
If your ideal garage cabinet is something that you can easily move around, even when fully loaded, then the UltraHD Tall Storage Cabinet is the right model for you. It not only allows you securely store all tools and supplies but enables you to move them to any corner of your garage (with its 4 sets of 5-inch wheels), improving your overall work productivity.
If you have a bigger load of gear that needs a secure storage, this is also the best garage cabinet for you. It’s among the few units that can hold extremely high loads of heavy materials (600lbs to be precise), so you can guess it will carry every tool on your garage floor. For organized storage, it comes with 4 adjustable shelves, each of which can handle as much as 150lbs.
The model comes with a high-quality steel powder coated construction, with stainless steel doors and high-quality wheels to give you a robust, yet economical and good-looking storage solution for your garage.
- Dimensions: 36" W x 18" D x 72" H
- Set of 4 5" Wheels included.
- Powder coated stainless steel frame.
- Stainless steel segment doors.
- Total weight capacity: 600lbs.
7. Gladiator GALG36CKXG Mobile Storage GearBox Cabinet:
- Built-in lock to safely house tools and other Garage items
- Front wheel casters lock the cabinet in place for stability, while rear casters swivel, offering portable organization options when you need storage flexibility
The Gladiator GALG36CKXG Mobile Storage GearBox Cabinet is the perfect case of versatility with mobile capacity. It offers you sufficient storage space- 5inches- for all your gear and equipment and can move with you to every part of your garage.
It comes with a total of 3 shelves, which are fully adjustable just like in the other Gladiator units. The entire cabinet can hold a total of 225 pounds of heavy equipment without bending, thanks to the quality stainless steel construction.
As a mobile unit, it comes with a total of 4 casters, so you can easily move it to any location by pushing it effortlessly. Now, the front casters easily lock into place to give the unit excellent stability. And the rear casters swivel smoothly to create a portable organizational optional whenever you intend to switch up your storage.
I also find the tab and loop design an impressive feature in this unit! It makes the installation process and easy and quick process, without necessarily using any hardware.
With the lockable doors (with magnetic door closure for easy opening/closing), you can safely store all your garage tools and equipment and have a piece of mind when away far away from them.
The unit measures66" H x 36" W x 18" D and comes with a whopping 10-year limited warranty, so you can always contact the manufacturers in case of any functionality issues.
- Faster, easy assembly.
- Heavy duty steel cabinet.
- Dimensions: 66" H x 36" W x 18" D.
- 10 year limited warranty.
- Maximum weight capacity: 225 Pounds.
8. Ulti-MATE 23.5 in. Garage Wall Cabinet with Adjustable Shelf:
Wall-mounted cabinets are the best when it comes to holding all your garage items in an organized manner and freeing up your garage floor space. Though they may require some time to set-up, you’ll end up with a cluster-free garage, with more open working space.
The Ulti-MATE 23.5 in. Garage Wall Cabinet is the perfect example of a wall-mount cabinet. It looks beautiful in its graphite gray and black finish and has high functionality, making it one of the most preferred garage storage systems across the states.
It presents you with a total of 2 shelves, each capable of holding gear that weighs up to 100lbs. That means that the entire unit can roughly hold a total of 150lbs- which is more than enough for your tools.
To make it a super-accessible unit, it features two side by side doors, each with an oversized brushed chrome handle that you can pull effortlessly whenever you want to access your gear.
The cabinet’s secret to standing up to oil, dirt, weight, and oil abuse lies in durable coated wood plus solid polyurethane construction. Additionally, the unique polyurethane coat makes your garage look even more stylish.
Above all, this unit is incredibly easy to assemble, arrange and the best investment you can make for your garage!
- Ulti-MATE: winner of the 2013 Consumer Digest Best Buy Award.
- Dimensions: 23.5W x 12.5D x 30H in.
- Durable 75-inch MDF and PB construction.
- 2 shelves with 2 side by side door style.
- Graphite gray and black finish.
- Dimensions: 23.5W x 12.5D x 30H inch.
- Easy, quick assembly.
- Ergonomic, chrome brushed oversize handles for effortless cabinet access.
9. Prepac Elite 32” Stackable Wall Cabinet Review:
- 16" deep instead of the standard 12" for 34% more storage
- 1 adjustable shelf. Solid MDF doors complete with a sleek, profiled edge. Constructed from non-toxic, laminated composite woods with a sturdy MDF backer
Another Prepac product makes it to our list of the best garage storage systems reviews for its high quality and functional rating. The Elite 32” Stackable Wall Cabinet is a 2-door style model that mounts directly to the wall or on top of a storage cabinet to allow you to free your garage floor space.
This particular Prepac has a unique design, in that its shelf is 16 inches deeper than the standard 12 inches in other units. This translates to 34% more storage space for you to hold more and more gear, including the bigger ones. And don’t forget that you can fully adjust the on the shelf it comes with to meet your specific storage needs.
The top-quality European style, 6-way adjustable hinges on its doors takes it quality to a whole new level. The MDF-based doors also feature profiled edges which give them a unique, attractive look.
The fresh, durable white laminate finish makes it one of the most beautiful cabinets on the market today. When you add this to its great storage function, you’ve got yourself a permanent storage solution for your garage.
- One adjustable shelf.
- Dimensions: 32"W x 24"H x 16"D
- Topper secured to the top of the unit with pre-drilled dowels.
- 16-inch deep for 34% more storage space.
- Assembly required.
10. Gladiator GarageWorks GAGB28KDYG Gladiator Ready-To-Assemble Modular Gearbox:
- Weight capacity of 75 lbs. per shelf and 300 lbs. total (when evenly distributed)
- Steel cabinet panels, heavy-duty Allen head bolt screws and back plates add durability
If you don’t have too much gear to store, you might consider a slightly smaller storage unit for your garage…and that’s the Gladiator GarageWorks GAGB28KDYG Gladiator Ready-To-Assemble Modular Gearbox.
One of the things you’ll like about this particular units is that’s it's small enough such that you can mount it on your wall. This makes it easy to access your gear without necessarily bending down, and allows you to enjoy more garage floor space.
It features one adjustable shelf that carries items weighing up to 45 pounds and one drawer storage that accommodates items worth 30 pounds. Clearly, this is adequate storage capacity for most of the garages out there. And for added security, the unit comes with round key door lock, such that you can lock all your valuables and prevent anyone from accessing them without your permission.
Like all the other Gladiators, this unit too has a heavy duty stainless steel construction which enables it to remain strong when fully loaded, and last for more years that its competitors.
- Heavy duty steel construction.
- One 45lbs adjustable shelf; 1 30lbs drawer storage.
- Ball bearing slides ensures smooth operation.
- Round key door lock.
- Optional caster kit available.
- Locking tread plate doors.
- 10-year limited warranty.
How to install cabinets in the garage
Installing cabinets is a very simple job but requires two key considerations:
Location:First, you need to get the dimension of your garage cabinet. Now the perfect location as per you cabinet dimension. Keep in mind that the location is easily accessible and you can see the stored items clearly.
You need to consider three types of cabinets: the wall mount which requires to set against a solid concrete or block wall that can take the weight of the cabinet and stored items. It is important that, set the cabinet in such a height that you can see the stored items and pick them without any step ladder or stading on tiptoes.
For rolling cabinets, You have to consider a place from where you can move the cabinet from one station to the next. For large sets, you need to consider which wall they will populate since they will take over the entire wall section.
Load: When you will install a cabinet consider what you will load into it. Usually load bearing consideration comes while you installing a wall mounted cabinet. Consider the strength of the bolts that will hold the full weight of the cabinet when full.
Now that you know what it takes, and the pitfalls to avoid, when looking for the best garage cabinets, you can go ahead and make your purchase like an expert.
From our recommended list of the 10 best storage units for your garage above will save you a lot of time. As you might have noted, it contains units of different weight capacities, designs, styles, etc. This is because different individuals have different storage needs and as well as different garage structures.
Let your garage structure and storage needs guide you on the best storage unit to buy from the 10 units above.